School of Motoring Dublin, Driving Lessons, Driving School, Learn to Drive, Cost of Driving Lessons, Motorway Driving Lessons, Getting a Driving License, Learner Drivers, Getting a Provisional License, Driving Test, Driving Theory Test, Driving Instructors, Practical Driving Test
" The way you guys teach is so easy to understand. And you let me learn at my pace. "
About Us
Getting Started
Booking Driving Lessons
Lesson Prices
Motorway Driving Lessons
Instructor Training
Learner Permit
Test Areas Covered
Customer Testimonials
Driver Theory Test
Provisional Licence Information
Useful Links
Contact Us
Provisional Driving Licence
From 1 January 2003 you are required to carry your licence with you at all times when driving in Ireland. It is a statutory requirement (i.e., the law) in Ireland that you must hold at least a provisional licence if you want to drive a motor vehicle in a public place.

The Department of Transport has overall responsibility for driver licensing. However, the principal local authorities are licensing authorities and issue driving licences. There are 29 licensing authorities (Motor Taxation Offices) around the country and you should make your application to the one nearest to where you live.

Before you begin to learn to drive on public roads in Ireland, you must hold a provisional driving licence. To undergo a driving test , you must hold a provisional licence covering the category in which you wish to be tested. Motor vehicles are put into categories for driver licensing purposes and there is a minimum age requirement for all categories. A full or provisional licence only entitles you to drive the category of vehicle for which the licence has been issued.
Categories of vehicles / Minimum age of driver:
CategoryVehicle typeMinimum age of driver
A1Motorcycles up to 11kW or 125 cc16 years
A (restricted)Motorcycles up to 25kW (approx. 300 cc)18 years
AAny size motorcycle (after 2 years on a full licence)18 years
BVehicles with seats for up to 8 passengers and max weight of 3,500kg17 years
MMoped with maximum speed of 45 kph and engine size up to 50 cc16 years
WWorks vehicle such as a tractor or JCB16 years
Car drivers ( category B ) with a provisional licence must be accompanied at all times by, and under the supervision of, a person with a current full driving licence to drive a car. ( The only exception to this , is where the driver holds a second provisonal driving licence to drive a car). The obligation to be accompanied by a qualified driver is set down in SI 352/99 Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 1999 .

Motorcyclists ( category A, A1 or M ) and work vehicle drivers ( category W ) with provisional licences, don't have to be accompanied when driving. (In other words, you don't need to have a fully qualified driver accompany you).

All other drivers with provisional licences must be accompanied by and under the supervison of someone with a current full driving licence for the relevant vehicle category.

All provisional licence holders, must display L-plates to the front and rear of the vehicle they are driving at all times.

If you hold a provisonal driving licence, you can't drive a vehicle drawing a trailer, drive on a motorway, act as an accompanying driver or carry other people for reward.

Since the commencement of the Driver Theory Testing Service on 11 June 2001, a theory test certificate must be obtained before a first provisional licence is granted. You may not apply for a third provisional licence unless you can provide evidence that you have (a) undergone a driving test in the two-year period prior to the application or (b) evidence of a forthcoming test date. A two year provisional licence will be granted if you provide evidence you have undergone a driving test, and a one year provisional licence will be granted if you submit evidence of a forthcoming test date.

If your provisional driving licence expired 5 years ago, then you must undergo a Driver Theory test before a new provisional licence can be issued.
Provisional licences are valid for two years (or one year in certain circumstances) and cost 15. Exchanging your driving licence to show a change of address is free of charge .
Where To Apply:
Driver Testing Section, Government Offices, Road Safety Authority, Ballina, Co. Mayo
Tel: +353 96 24200; Locall: 1890 406040; Fax: +353 96 24400
Reproduced courtesy of
2007 Park School of Motoring: 15 Rosemount Way - Dundrum - Dublin 14 - Ireland        Phone: 087 203 8512        Email:                Powered by: go2web